Behind My Red Door

Monday, June 21, 2010

On this day 35 years ago…

Wedding party

… on a very hot and humid Saturday evening at 5 PM, I married my best friend and the love of my life. For 35 years, David has been the best husband and Dad and now Grampee, I could ever hope for. He has always provided well for our family and never wanted anything for himself. He has been the dad who attended all the t-ball, softball, soccer and football games and practices, and more dance competitions and recitals than you can imagine - sometimes being the ONLY dad there. In addition to being a great dad, David has always supported me in every endeavor from finishing nursing school, to being a stay at home mom, going back to school, to running a school, and now, as the keeper of the home, part time care taker for Lili and my parents as well my newest endeavor with A Primitive Place magazine.

When we got engaged in December of 1974,

engagement David's job took him all over the country and we didn't want to be apart, so we planned a wedding for the following June.

My mom and I got busy making my gown. I was a country girl at heart even back then and a frilly lacy thing was just not me. So we made a simple gown with crocheted lace and a removable train. We even had to die the lace in tea to get it just the right shade of ecru that I wanted. See I was prim before prim was in style!

I wore a country girl's garden hat simply adorned with more of the same lace and my bouquet was daisies with a few roses. My bridesmaids carried baskets of daisies - country style of course.

Even our cake had daisies!

We celebrated with our close family and friends at a reception close to home and we danced to our song "Color My World" by Chicago. Not only was it our song but it was our LUCKY song. (And still is!) It was everywhere I went in the pre-wedding days when I had to make all the decisions and do all the planning myself because David was working in Oklahoma. When my mom and I went to the florist to talk about my flowers, it was on the radio in the background. When we went to meet the cake lady, it was on the radio in the car. When I went with my bridesmaids to the mall bridal shop, it was playing in the background again. Over and over again at key moments, it was playing. And a week before our wedding, when David decided to drive home from OK without stopping, I stayed up late at night anxiously waiting for his call (remember - no cell phones back them - in fact no cordless phones either!) I was so worried about that long 22 hour drive. I had to find things to keep me busy and I remember being in the sewing/laundry room when the long version of our song came on the radio. The minute it ended, the phone rang and David told me he has just gotten to his parents house. I still get the goosebumps now when I think back to that night.

After our honey moon, we immediately went to Kansas City, Missouri where David was to work on a project for Riley Stoker, the company he had taken a job with in 1974 right out of college. I was so homesick!! He worked long days at the power plant and I was alone in the hotel room without a car. Luckily for us, he got transferred to a job outside New Orleans, so within a few weeks, we were heading for the Gulf. I was very excited because we knew he would be there several months and we could get our very first apartment together and so we did - at Windsor Arms Apartments in Harvey, LA - just over the Mississippi River from New Orleans. The only other couple I knew from Riley were living there as well so I was thrilled to have companionship during the long 18 hour shifts David and Joe worked. Joe's wife Pat and I spent our days together with their young daughter Jessica. And we always had one car between us! Pat and Joe remain our dear friends to this day.

I was still a bit homesick and I REALLY hated the heat and humidity and creepy crawlies you could not get rid of, but I loved being a wife and taking care of my husband. Coincidentally, my brother was stationed at Biloxi Air Force Base in Mississippi and when he had a few days leave, we would drive along the Gulf Coast and bring him back to our apartment. It was great to see a face from home and I practiced my cooking skills to a thrilled audience.

In the fall of 1975, David was quickly promoted to a job in the home office and we returned to MA to live. I finished nursing school in 1976 and took the state boards to become an RN,

QCC Grad

and in 1977 we bought our first home - a small 3 bedroom ranch style home. In 1979, our son Jay was born followed in 1981 by our daughter Jen. We were truly blessed with a comfy home, 2 beautiful healthy children and we were close to our families once again.

David continued to work for Riley, still traveling at times to power plants around the country and he was working his way up the 'company ladder'. He's the kind of guy who keeps his cool in almost any situation and if he can't say a kind word, he doesn't speak. Yet in the business world, he can hold his own with anyone in any position in any field. His quiet demeanor has served him well over the years. While he worked to support our young family, I became involved in the kids schools and the community, I was thrilled to be able to stay at home and I loved keeping home and raising our family, only occasionally working as a nurse when we wanted something special for the family.

In 1986, we moved to our current home and I was working part time at the small preschool both kids had attended, eventually becoming the Director.


I never went back to nursing after that. We both went back to college at night. I earned my MA Preschool Teacher and Director certification, and David attended the prestigious WPI School of Industrial Management. He made history in 1981, being their youngest graduate ever at that time. Jen was just 2 months old. He continued to work at Riley and still traveled at times. I quickly learned how to be a DIY kind of mom out of necessity.

We settled into a comfortable home life and over the years we celebrated the typical milestones - each of the kids getting their driving licenses, first cars, proms, high school graduations, college, Jay's first house,and my 'retirement' from teaching in 2005, Jen’s first apartment, Jay’s marriage to Angela in 2008,

and Lili’s birth last year. 005

005 (2)

We continue to be blessed with great families. We have 3 great kids, our precious Lili and both sets of our parents are still with us. My parents and David’s dad are now experiencing significant health issues so we celebrate each milestone of our lives with them.

Today we will celebrate this milestone with a family dinner of a Mexican feast here Behind My Red Door. Family and good = fun and more memories. We are indeed blessed!

David, you are the best man I know, and you still Color My World!

Until next time – prim hugs, Grammee Linda

(edited from an old post)